Record types allow you to offer different business processes, picklist values, and page layouts to different users. Record types can be used in various ways.
You can assign record types to users in their profile or permission sets, or a combination of both. Record type assignment behaves differently in profiles and permission sets.
- A user's default record type is specified in their profile. You can't specify a default record type in permission sets.
- You can assign the --Master-- record type in profiles, but not permission sets; only custom record types can be assigned in permission sets. Depending on the record types assigned in profiles:
- If users have --Master-- on their profile and no custom record types in their permission sets, when they create a record, the Master record type is associated with the new record.
- If users have --Master-- on their profile and only one custom record type in their permission sets, when they create a record, the new record is associated with the custom record type. Users won't have the option to select the Master record type.
- If users have --Master-- on their profile and multiple custom record types in their permission sets, when they create a record, they're prompted to choose a record type. In their personal settings, users don't have the option to automatically use their default record type.
- If users have a custom record type on their profile and any custom record types in their permission sets, when they create a record, they're prompted to choose a record type. In their personal settings, users can set an option to automatically use their default record type and not be prompted to choose a record type.
- Page layout assignments are specified in profiles only-they're not available in permission sets. When you assign a custom record type in a permission set, users with that permission set get the page layout assignment that's specified for that record type in their profile. (In profiles, page layout assignments are specified for every record type, even when record types aren't assigned.)
- Users can view records assigned to any record type. As a result, a page layout is assigned to every record type on a user's profile. A record type assignment on a user's profile or permission set does not determine whether a user can view a record with that record type; rather, the record type assignment simply specifies that the user can use that record type when creating or editing a record.
- Record types in permission sets aren't supported in packages and change sets. As a result, any record type assignments in permission sets in a sandbox organization must be manually reproduced in a production organization.