Improve the quality of your data by using validation rules. Validation rules verify that the data a user enters in a record meets the standards you specify before the user can save the record. A validation rule can contain a formula or expression that evaluates the data in one or more fields and returns a value of "True" or "False". Validation rules also include an error message to display to the user when the rule returns a value of "True" due to an invalid value.
To Create a validation rule:
- Navigate to the relevant object, field, campaign member, or case milestone.
- Navigate to the appropriate object and open the Quick Access Toolbar
- Hover over View Validation Rules and click +New
- Enter the properties of your validation rule.
- To check your formula for errors, click Check Syntax.
- Click Save to finish or Save & New to create additional validation rules.
After you have defined validation rules:
- The user chooses to create a new record or edit an existing record.
- The user clicks Save.
- All validation rules are verified.
- If all data is valid, the record is saved.
- If any data is invalid, the associated error message displays without saving the record.
- The user makes the necessary changes and clicks Save again.
You can specify the error message to display when a record fails validation and where to display it. For example, your error message can be "The close date must occur after today's date." You can choose to display it near a field or at the top of the page. Like all other error messages, validation rule errors display in red text and are preceded by the word "Error".