Page Layouts can be customized as to what fields and related lists are seen by the user. A separate page layout can be developed for each record type.
❗NOTE: only a System Administrator has the level of access required to modify page layouts
Example Use Cases
- Attorney Contact record type may need to have a field to show the states the contact is licensed to practice in - while the Principal Contact record type does not need this.
- Users may want to see a particular Related List in a different order than what is displayed by default.
Things To Know Before Getting Started
There are two main areas that will be addressed in this tutorial;
- Fields - Define data on a record such as name, property address, or company email. These are viewed under the Details information on a record.
- Related Lists - Displays a list of information as it relates to the current record being viewed. Examples of this include;
- Contact Related List on a Company record - displays all of the contacts that are associated with the company being viewed
- Space Related List on a Property record - displays all of the spaces that are associated with the property being viewed
- Commission Related List on a Closed Deal record - displays the gross commission breakdown associated with the closed deal being viewed
How to Access the Page Layout:
Click the gear symbol in the top right hand corner of the screen > click Setup
- In the Quick Find box > type ‘object’ > click Object Manager
- Click on the object name (in this case we are using Contact) > click on Page Layouts > click on the page layout name (in this case we are using Attorney)
How to Change Field Location on the Page Layout:
TO MOVE THE LOCATION OF A FIELD IN THE LAYOUT > click and hold mouse button on the field name > move the field to the new location
- TO ADD A FIELD TO THE PAGE LAYOUT > search for the field > click and hold mouse button on the field name > move the field to the new location
- TO REMOVE A FIELD FROM THE PAGE LAYOUT > hover over field name > click on the ‘remove’ icon
❗NOTE ABOUT SAVING LAYOUT CHANGES:
- Use the Save the button if you are making changes to only a single layout.
- If you are making changes to multiple page layouts;
- Click on Quick Save (this is a temporary hold until all changes are made)
- Click on the dropdown to change the layout to the next type
- Make additional layout changes
- Continue to use Quick Save until all layout changes are complete
- Click Save to commit all changes to your system
How to Update the Related List View:
- Using the steps above > Access the Page Layout
- Click on Related Lists > click on Related List Properties (wrench) icon
- Move Available Fields to Selected Fields to change what is displayed > click OK