Your custom formula fields require special attributes. To build your formula:
- Navigate to the appropriate object and open the Quick Access Toolbar
- Hover over View Fields and click +New
- Choose Formula as the type of field and click Next.
- Select the data type for the formula. Choose the appropriate data type for your formula based on the output of your calculation.
- Checkbox - Returns a true or false value. The field appears as a checkbox in record detail pages and reports. Use True for checked values and False for unchecked values.
- Currency - Returns a number in currency format of up to 18 digits with a currency sign.
- Date - Returns data that represents a day on the calendar. The current date can be acquired by calling the built-in function TODAY() in a formula. This data type is not available for custom summary formulas in reports.
- Date/Time - Returns data that represents a moment in time. A date/time field includes the date and also the time of day including hour, minutes, and seconds. You can insert the current date and time in a formula using the NOW() function. This data type is not available for custom summary formulas in reports.
- Number - Returns a positive or negative integer or decimal of up to 18 digits. Apto uses the round half up tie-breaking rule for numbers in formula fields. For example, 12.345 becomes 12.35 and -12.345 becomes -12.35.
- Percent - Returns a number in percent format of up to 18 digits followed by a percent sign. Percent data is stored as a decimal divided by 100, which means that 90% is equal to 0.90.
- Text - Returns a string of up to 3900 characters. To display text in addition to the formula output, insert that text in quotes. Use the text data type for text, text area, URL, phone, email, address, and auto-number fields. This data type isn't available for custom summary formulas in reports.
- Choose the number of decimal places for currency, number, or percent data types. This setting is ignored for currency fields in multicurrency organizations. Instead, the Decimal Places for your currency setting apply.
- Click Next.
- Build your formula:
- If you are building a formula in the Advanced Formula tab or for approvals or rules, such as workflow, validation, assignment, auto-response, or escalation, click Insert Field, choose a field, and click Insert.
- To create a basic formula that passes specific Apto data, select the Simple Formula tab, choose the field type in the Select Field Type drop-down list, and choose one of the fields listed in the Insert Field drop-down list.
- To insert an operator, choose the appropriate operator icon from the Insert Operator drop-down list.
- Optionally, click the Advanced Formula tab to use functions and view additional operators and merge fields. Functions are pre-built formulas that you can customize with your input parameters.
- To insert a function, double-click its name in the list, or select it and click Insert Selected Function. To filter the list of functions, choose a category from the Functions drop-down list. Select a function and click Help on this function to view a description and examples of formulas using that function.
- To check your formula for errors, click Check Syntax.
- Optionally, enter a description of the formula in the Description box.
- If your formula references any number, currency, or percent fields, choose an option for handling blank fields. To give any blank fields a zero value, choose Treat blank fields as zeros. To leave these fields blank, choose Treat blank fields as blanks.
- Click Next.
- Set the field-level security to determine whether the field should be visible for specific profiles, and click Next.
- Choose the page layouts that should display the field. The field is added as the last field in the first two-column section on the page layout. For user custom fields, the field is automatically added to the bottom of the user detail page.
- Click Save to finish or Save & New to create more custom fields.
|Note||Because formula fields are automatically calculated, they are read-only on record detail pages and do not update last modified date fields. Formula fields are not visible on edit pages.|
In account formulas, all business account fields are available as merge fields. However, account fields exclusive to person accounts such as Birthday and Email are not available.
Formulas on Activities that use standard fields-either alone or in workflow rules-shouldn't be placed on both the Task and Event pages. This is because both Tasks and Events are considered Activities. For instance, if a formula is used on a standard field only available for Tasks, it will also mistakenly be pulled into Events